Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Chicken Caesar Salad

I have been making this Caesar salad for years. I kind of made it up as I went along because I became highly allergic to seafood a few years back and had to make some changes as I cannot use anchovy paste anymore. However, in my opinion it tastes just as good to me!

Ingredients:

Baked or grilled chicken breast cubbed or torn into bite sized pieces

Romaine lettuce

Ralph's brand worchestershire sauce (no anchovies, as most have them as an ingredient, if you are not allergic you can use any brand)

Dijon mustard - I always use a dijon that is a product of France

Garlic - minced

Fresh lime juice (you can substitute lemons if you're out of limes)

Olive oil

Salt and pepper to taste

Parmesan cheese


Here are all of the ingredients. I have the chicken baking in the oven. I bake or grill the chicken, either one works great.



This is a MUST HAVE in your kitchen. Ok, I know mine is a bit on the old side, but I just love it. I tried to replace it once but it just wasn't the same. Anyway, everyone needs a salad spinner to dry your lettuce when making salads. Like I said, it is a MUST!!! Anyway, wash and dry your romaine and tear into pieces for the salad. It's a bit of a tedious process but it really does make a difference.



Another MUST - a small wire whisk. I got mine at a Pampered Chef party years ago. I usually keep 2 of them in the house. I make all my salad dressings (no bottled dressing for me) so I think I need even more than 2.



My favorite kitchen tool! A lemon/lime squeezer.



These are all of the ingredients for the salad dressing. You mince your garlic (I do it with a knife, not a press) add to the bowl, then add salt and pepper, a small dab of the dijon mustard - I don't measure but I would say maybe 1/2 a teaspoon, add some worchestershire sauce - maybe about 1 1/2 tablespoons, squeeze in your lime juice - depending on how big of a salad you are making I would use one or two limes, then add your olive oil. Usually the ratio is 2 olive oils to 1 lime juice. All of your ingredient measurements will change according to how big of a salad you are making.



Then you take your wire whisk and mix all of the ingredients together. Now at this point take a piece of your lettuce and dip it into the dressing and take a taste. If it tastes good then you are done. If you think you need a little more of something then just add whatever ingredient you think it needs until it tastes perfect!



Pour the dressing over the salad, chicken, and parmesan cheese. Mix together with salad tongs. Now isn't that a beautiful healthy dinner for your family?? We love it over here!!

No comments:

Post a Comment